Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I've finally arrived!

As I type this blog bost, I'm sitting in my new apartment in Munich! It is truly incredible and unreal! I'm completely exhausted, and I can't wait to go to sleep tonight. It is currently 7:10pm in Munich, which would make it 12:10pm in MN.

What a journey I've made! From Rochester to Chicago, and Chicago to Munich. I've learned a lot in such a short amount of time. The first thing, even if an airline says a carry-on bag will fit, doesn't mean it actually will. Take my carry-ons for example, I had my duffel and a computer bag, both pretty stuffed. My duffel wouldn't fit in the overhead compartment on the Roch-to-Chic flight, but that was a tiny plane, so I'll let that slide. On the larger plane from Chic-to-Mun flight, the duffel fit in the overhead, but my computer bag wouldn't fit under my seat. They've blocked off about a quarter of the space under the seats for electronic stuff for the TV screens inside the headrests. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have more foot room than entertainment any day of the week. It made sleeping next to impossible and just sitting quite uncomfortable. I'm sure this is taken right out of a bad stand-up comedian's routine, but WOW do they pack us in there like cattle on those planes. I don't remember it being that bad when I came to Germany five years ago.

Anyway, enough with my complaining... I made it safe and sound. Got a taxi and headed for my apartment. It looks just about the same as on the pictures. Really small, but really nice! I unpacked, got settled, and took a quick nap before heading out to explore the neighborhood. I found my way to the subway station and road it into Marienplatz, the heart of Munich. Marienplatz is a large plaza where the Glockenspiel is. I walked around there for quite some time, enjoying the nice weather (sunny and mid-50s) before heading back on the subway to my apartment. I stopped at a little market near my place and picked up something for dinner, a few rolls, some meat, cheese, fruit, Apfelschorle and some chocolate cookies!!! :) YUM!

 My bed, all made up and ready to be slept in!


 
Other half of my apartment...
 The Glockenspiel at Marienplatz
My yummy first dinner in Munich!



I'm ready to get lots of sleep right now! Tomorrow I'm waking up early to take the train over to the school where I'll be teaching at to meet with my supervisor and get a tour of the school!

No comments:

Post a Comment